If you’re planning to propose (or create the right opportunity for that certain someone to think about proposing) then a trip to somewhere significant is the way to do it. Make your proposal memorable with somewhere romantic and scenic. Here are our top ten destinations for proposal opportunities.
1) Paris – a perennial favourite with lovers the world over, France’s capital city has a long history of romance with plenty of spots to do the deed. If you don’t fancy scaling the Eiffel Tower, then maybe you can use the Pont des Arts over the River Seine, or aboard one of the river’s many cruise boats.
2) Dubai – Hot, exotic, and containing some stunning modern architecture, Dubai is a shopper’s paradise. Dubai is a great choice if you want to combine a proposal with engagement ring shopping. A trip to Gold & Diamond Park and other shopping malls and souks could be on the itinerary! There are a plethora of potential proposal spots in one of Dubai’s many skyscrapers, aquarium restaurants, or fountains.
3) New York – With trans-Atlantic flights faster than they used to be, a short break in New York is more than feasible. A trip to New York feels like visiting a living film set, and where better to propose than atop the Empire State Building, on a helicopter over the Statue of Liberty, or in the world famous Times Square? Shops galore with the peaceful haven of Central Park, New York offers it all.
4) Venice – Venice is possibly Italy’s most famously romantic city, and attracts around 50,000 tourists a day. It is famous for its waterways and canals, and you can’t go to Venice without taking a gondola ride along the Grand Canal.
5) Norway – if your loved one is not a fan of exotic weather, then a trip to see the Northern Lights could be a winner. There are lots of places to stay where you have a good chance of seeing the lights, and you can also take a dog-sledding tour, or a cruise around the fjords. Please see the website of Visit Norway for the best places.
6) Dublin – for a proposal filled with fun, Dublin is a lovely place for a bit of sightseeing and bonding over beer. If you need a bit of Dutch courage and feel the ‘luck of the Irish’ would be most welcome, then making your proposal in Dublin could result in success!
7) London – The UK’s capital and one of the world’s biggest cities provides a whole host of proposal opportunities. The London Eye is a popular choice, or maybe the scenic Trafalgar Square. If you want to add height to your proposal, then a trip up London’s tallest building The Shard is the place to do it.
8) Sydney – for the trip of a lifetime, and one you will never forget, take a trip to Sydney, Australia. Often thought of as Australia’s capital (it isn’t), it’s probably the most recognisable of Oz’s cities. The harbour area with the Opera House is simply stunning, and if you want to introduce an element of peril into your proposal then you can join a climbing tour of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
9) Barcelona – the beautiful Spanish city of Barcelona in the region of Catalonia is a mix of green space, coast, and interesting architecture created by Gaudi. Proposal sites could include the wonderful Park Guell, or the mountainside park of Montjuic. Ride a cable car to the hillside villages, and if you’re a sports fan, the Olympic stadium and The Camp Nou are worth a tour.
10) Las Vegas – Not keen on long engagements? Propose in Las Vegas and you can be engaged, married, and on your way home before the hangover has even kicked in. Feeling extra lucky? Try one or two of the many casinos and maybe you can stretch to an even better ring.
Wherever you propose, make it a good one. Good luck!